The YMCA symbol is more than an emblem. It is a graphic representation of our religious and educational philosophy and reveals the essential unity of the Christian view of life. There are few organizations that have as meaningful and complicated an emblem as has the YMCA. Most think that the large red triangle is the Association’s emblem, but this is just part of it.
THE ORGINAL YMCA EMBLEM
First, there is a double circle. One circle is for the completeness and unity of life relating to the universe and to all the laws of nature. The second circle has the symbolism of a wedding ring-friend, love without end among individuals. Within these two circles the rest of the emblem is placed. They are the Greek letters Chi Rho. These are the first two letters of the Greek word for Christ and are themselves the emblem of early Christianity.
There is the double triangle:
The large triangle stand for the trinity within the Godhead; that of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and represents the complete cooperation and unity between them in trying to show the world the true way of life.The second triangle stands for the trinity within men – that of the spirit, mind and body. Here there is where part of our work fits in, that of developing the life of youth into the fullness of growth. And then in the centre is the Bible, the Holy Scriptures, open to Christ’s intercessory prayer; the Gospel of John, the 17th Chapter and the 21st verse which reads:
“THAT THEY ALL MAY BE ONE; AS THOU, FATHER, ART IN ME, AND I IN THEE, THAT THEY ALSO MAY BE ONE IN US; THAT THE WORLD MAY BELIEVE THAT THOU HAST SENT ME.”
The RED TRIANGLE with the three equal sides is the
well-known YMCA symbol. It represents the equal development of the person SPIRITUALLY, MENTALLY and
You will also notice that two other symbols, besides the first, are in use here in the YMCA Penang. The red triangle with the letters “YMCA” across it, and the other, the letter “Y”. All three symbols though different have one feature in common. They all display the red triangle.
This is the foundation test and sets forth the unity and purpose of the entire membership.
SOMETHINGS WE ARE………..
We are a lay Christian association
We are a membership organization
We are open to Christians and non-Christians
We include youths and adults of both sexes and all ages, race and nationalities
We are a voluntary organization
We are a non-profit organization
We aspire to formulate objectives which are based on Christian purpose
We are concerned about the “whole” person – spirit, mind and body
The YMCA is a world
Christian Movement, with the PARIS
BASIS as its’ mission:
“The Young Men’s Christian Association seeks to unite those young men who, regarding Jesus Christ as their God and Savior, according to the Holy Scriptures, desire to be his disciples in their faith and in their life, and to associate their effort for the extension of his Kingdom amongst young men. Any differences of opinion on other subjects, however important in themselves, shall not interfere with the harmonious relation of the constituent members and associates of the World Alliance.”August 22, 1855
THE BIRTH OF
The YMCA movement was founded
on 6th June 1844 by Sir George
Williams during the era of Industrial Revolution. Sir George
Williams, Ted Beaumont and ten other young men decided to form a movement
with the objective to bring young men in London to Jesus Christ and steer
them away from the temptations of a big, impersonal city that catered to
carnal desires. The birth of the movement was virtually a replica of the
meeting of the 12 apostles of Jesus Christ in an upper room 19 centuries
Meetings, Bible reading and
discussions, prayer and fellowship were held. It was not a group of people
with pious or holier-than-thou attitudes. They were practical working men
who were leading ordinary daily lives. But their earnestness of purpose
caught fire all around them.
Today, more than 150 years after its inception, the YMCA is one big international youth organization. Despite the varied programs promoted by different YMCAs throughout the world, the basic purpose for which it was organized by George Williams in 1844 remains the same. It seeks to unite Christian young people together for the purpose of bringing others to Christ. This is the foundation of the YMCA. A secondary objective is symbolized by the three verticals of the red triangle. It stands for a balance growth in spirit, mind and body.
THE BIRTH OF PENANG YMCA (1905 – 1957)
The YMCA in Penang was founded in 1905 by the Reverend G.F. Pykett of England and Principal of the ACS now known as the MBS (Methodist Boys School).
In 1907, St. John’s Ambulance classes in First Aid were organized, and in 1910, the first Boy Scouts Troop in Penang was formed by the Penang YMCA. Both movements play an important role in the activities of the State and the Y can proudly claim to have been the moving spirit behind their early establishment respectively.
Unfortunately, this early YMCA was closed down because of World War II. After the war, two attempts to revive it were made in vain due to the lack of a suitable building to house the Association.
REVIVAL & SURVIVAL (1958 – 1966)
A third attempt to resuscitate the Penang Y was made at a meeting held at the Wesley Methodist Church, Penang on 22-10-1958, and 11 months later with substantial financial assistance from the Asia Foundation, the YMCA of Penang was re-opened on 29-09-1959 with Mr. G.H. Goh, JMN, MBE as its first President and Mr. Geh Hun Kheng as the Honorary Secretary. The Association was officially registered in accordance with the provisions of Section 5 of the Societies ordinance 1949 on 02-05-1960.
Official opening of the Club House at 211, Macalister Road by His Excellency the first Governor of Penang, Raja Tun Uda bin Raja Muhammad, SMN, KBE, CMG was held on 16-10-1960. The Club House was leased to the Association.
A crisis arose in 1961 when the owners of the premises wished to sell the property. By the grace of God coupled with the perseverance and benevolence of Mr. & Mrs. G.H. Goh, Mr. & Mrs. Tye Poh Sun, philanthropic leaders and Directors themselves, and the cooperation of the Cantonese Methodist Church, the Penang YMCA emerged as the owner of the property - a building sited on 20,000 square feet of land which functioned as the headquarter of the Association.
GROWTH & CONSOLIDATION (1967 – 1995) 3 STOREY BUILDING
The Club House, erected for private residence, was too small and unsuitable for increased activities. For this reason, the planning of a 3-storey building was first initiated in 1968.
Official opening of the YMCA New Building (now the East Wing) at 211-B, Jalan Macalister by His Excellency the Governor of Penang, Tan Sri Datuk Haji Sardon Bin Haji Jubir, PMN, DUPN, SPMJ was held on 28-6-1975.
5-STOREYPROGRAM& RECREATIONAL COMPLEX
In response to the expanding needs of the community, the planning of the Complex was initiated on 15.10.1987. Mr. Geh Cheng Lok, 5th President, officially launched the building fund campaign on 28.09.1991. The Building Plans were approved on 16.3.1992. The Ground Breaking Ceremony of the Complex
was officiated by Bishop Denis C. Dutton, Chairman of Christian Federation of Malaysia on 9.9.1992.
The construction works officially commenced on 4.3.1993. On 2.11.1994 the YMCA Penang celebrated its 35th Anniversary cum completion of its 5-Storey Program & Recreation Complex. Certificate of Completion was obtained on 24.12.1994.
YMCA PENANG OBJECTIVE
The YMCA Penang is a community-based non-profit organization dedicated to facilitating and promoting the spiritual, mental, physical and social development of individuals thereby making them responsible citizens of our country. We seek to transcend all divisions and barriers of class, race, sex, nationality and political opinion through our various programs i.e. recreational and social programs, youth programs to direct our youth towards healthy recreational activities. We provide facilities and opportunities for youth to develop themselves as individuals and as members of society.